1. And David made him houses in the city of David, and prepared a place for the ark of God, and pitched for it a tent.
2. Then David said, None ought to carry the ark of God but the Levites: for them hath the LORD chosen to carry the ark of God, and to minister unto him for ever.
3. And David gathered all Israel together to Jerusalem, to bring up the ark of the LORD unto his place, which he had prepared for it.
4. And David assembled the children of Aaron, and the Levites:
5. Of the sons of Kohath; Uriel the chief, and his brethren an hundred and twenty:
6. Of the sons of Merari; Asaiah the chief, and his brethren two hundred and twenty:
7. Of the sons of Gershom; Joel the chief and his brethren an hundred and thirty:
8. Of the sons of Elizaphan; Shemaiah the chief, and his brethren two hundred:
9. Of the sons of Hebron; Eliel the chief, and his brethren fourscore:
10. Of the sons of Uzziel; Amminadab the chief, and his brethren an hundred and twelve.
11. And David called for Zadok and Abiathar the priests, and for the Levites, for Uriel, Asaiah, and Joel, Shemaiah, and Eliel, and Amminadab,
12. And said unto them, Ye are the chief of the fathers of the Levites: sanctify yourselves, both ye and your brethren, that ye may bring up the ark of the LORD God of Israel unto the place that I have prepared for it.
13. For because ye did it not at the first, the LORD our God made a breach upon us, for that we sought him not after the due order.