4. And David and all Israel went to Jerusalem, which is Jebus; where the Jebusites were, the inhabitants of the land.
5. And the inhabitants of Jebus said to David, Thou shalt not come hither. Nevertheless David took the castle of Zion, which is the city of David.
6. And David said, Whosoever smiteth the Jebusites first shall be chief and captain. So Joab the son of Zeruiah went first up, and was chief.
7. And David dwelt in the castle; therefore they called it the city of David.
8. And he built the city round about, even from Millo round about: and Joab repaired the rest of the city.
9. So David waxed greater and greater: for the LORD of hosts was with him.