5. And David went out whithersoever Saul sent him, and behaved himself wisely: and Saul set him over the men of war, and he was accepted in the sight of all the people, and also in the sight of Saul's servants.
6. And it came to pass as they came, when David was returned from the slaughter of the Philistine, that the women came out of all cities of Israel, singing and dancing, to meet king Saul, with tabrets, with joy, and with instruments of musick.
7. And the women answered one another as they played, and said, Saul hath slain his thousands, and David his ten thousands.
8. And Saul was very wroth, and the saying displeased him; and he said, They have ascribed unto David ten thousands, and to me they have ascribed but thousands: and what can he have more but the kingdom?
9. And Saul eyed David from that day and forward.
10. And it came to pass on the morrow, that the evil spirit from God came upon Saul, and he prophesied in the midst of the house: and David played with his hand, as at other times: and there was a javelin in Saul's hand.
11. And Saul cast the javelin; for he said, I will smite David even to the wall with it. And David avoided out of his presence twice.
12. And Saul was afraid of David, because the LORD was with him, and was departed from Saul.
13. Therefore Saul removed him from him, and made him his captain over a thousand; and he went out and came in before the people.