34. They did not destroy the nations, concerning whom the LORD commanded them:
35. But were mingled among the heathen, and learned their works.
36. And they served their idols: which were a snare unto them.
37. Yea, they sacrificed their sons and their daughters unto devils,
38. And shed innocent blood, even the blood of their sons and of their daughters, whom they sacrificed unto the idols of Canaan: and the land was polluted with blood.
39. Thus were they defiled with their own works, and went a whoring with their own inventions.
40. Therefore was the wrath of the LORD kindled against his people, insomuch that he abhorred his own inheritance.
41. And he gave them into the hand of the heathen; and they that hated them ruled over them.
42. Their enemies also oppressed them, and they were brought into subjection under their hand.
43. Many times did he deliver them; but they provoked him with their counsel, and were brought low for their iniquity.
44. Nevertheless he regarded their affliction, when he heard their cry:
45. And he remembered for them his covenant, and repented according to the multitude of his mercies.
46. He made them also to be pitied of all those that carried them captives.