22. And the house of Joseph, they also went up against Bethel: and the LORD was with them.
23. And the house of Joseph sent to descry Bethel. (Now the name of the city before was Luz. )
24. And the spies saw a man come forth out of the city, and they said unto him, Shew us, we pray thee, the entrance into the city, and we will shew thee mercy.
25. And when he shewed them the entrance into the city, they smote the city with the edge of the sword; but they let go the man and all his family.
26. And the man went into the land of the Hittites, and built a city, and called the name thereof Luz: which is the name thereof unto this day.
27. Neither did Manasseh drive out the inhabitants of Bethshean and her towns, nor Taanach and her towns, nor the inhabitants of Dor and her towns, nor the inhabitants of Ibleam and her towns, nor the inhabitants of Megiddo and her towns: but the Canaanites would dwell in that land.
28. And it came to pass, when Israel was strong, that they put the Canaanites to tribute, and did not utterly drive them out.
29. Neither did Ephraim drive out the Canaanites that dwelt in Gezer; but the Canaanites dwelt in Gezer among them.
30. Neither did Zebulun drive out the inhabitants of Kitron, nor the inhabitants of Nahalol; but the Canaanites dwelt among them, and became tributaries.
31. Neither did Asher drive out the inhabitants of Accho, nor the inhabitants of Zidon, nor of Ahlab, nor of Achzib, nor of Helbah, nor of Aphik, nor of Rehob:
32. But the Asherites dwelt among the Canaanites, the inhabitants of the land: for they did not drive them out.
33. Neither did Naphtali drive out the inhabitants of Bethshemesh, nor the inhabitants of Bethanath; but he dwelt among the Canaanites, the inhabitants of the land: nevertheless the inhabitants of Bethshemesh and of Bethanath became tributaries unto them.
34. And the Amorites forced the children of Dan into the mountain: for they would not suffer them to come down to the valley:
35. But the Amorites would dwell in mount Heres in Aijalon, and in Shaalbim: yet the hand of the house of Joseph prevailed, so that they became tributaries.