1. In the second year of Joash son of Jehoahaz king of Israel reigned Amaziah the son of Joash king of Judah.
2. He was twenty and five years old when he began to reign, and reigned twenty and nine years in Jerusalem. And his mother's name was Jehoaddan of Jerusalem.
3. And he did that which was right in the sight of the LORD, yet not like David his father: he did according to all things as Joash his father did.
4. Howbeit the high places were not taken away: as yet the people did sacrifice and burnt incense on the high places.
5. And it came to pass, as soon as the kingdom was confirmed in his hand, that he slew his servants which had slain the king his father.
6. But the children of the murderers he slew not: according unto that which is written in the book of the law of Moses, wherein the LORD commanded, saying, The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor the children be put to death for the fathers; but every man shall be put to death for his own sin.