20. And Tilgathpilneser king of Assyria came unto him, and distressed him, but strengthened him not.
21. For Ahaz took away a portion out of the house of the LORD, and out of the house of the king, and of the princes, and gave it unto the king of Assyria: but he helped him not.
22. And in the time of his distress did he trespass yet more against the LORD: this is that king Ahaz.
23. For he sacrificed unto the gods of Damascus, which smote him: and he said, Because the gods of the kings of Syria help them, therefore will I sacrifice to them, that they may help me. But they were the ruin of him, and of all Israel.
24. And Ahaz gathered together the vessels of the house of God, and cut in pieces the vessels of the house of God, and shut up the doors of the house of the LORD, and he made him altars in every corner of Jerusalem.
25. And in every several city of Judah he made high places to burn incense unto other gods, and provoked to anger the LORD God of his fathers.