8. The Lord sent a word into Jacob, and it hath lighted upon Israel.
9. And all the people shall know, even Ephraim and the inhabitant of Samaria, that say in the pride and stoutness of heart,
10. The bricks are fallen down, but we will build with hewn stones: the sycomores are cut down, but we will change them into cedars.
11. Therefore the LORD shall set up the adversaries of Rezin against him, and join his enemies together;
12. The Syrians before, and the Philistines behind; and they shall devour Israel with open mouth. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.
13. For the people turneth not unto him that smiteth them, neither do they seek the LORD of hosts.
14. Therefore the LORD will cut off from Israel head and tail, branch and rush, in one day.
15. The ancient and honourable, he is the head; and the prophet that teacheth lies, he is the tail.
16. For the leaders of this people cause them to err; and they that are led of them are destroyed.
17. Therefore the LORD shall have no joy in their young men, neither shall have mercy on their fatherless and widows: for every one is an hypocrite and an evildoer, and every mouth speaketh folly. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.
18. For wickedness burneth as the fire: it shall devour the briers and thorns, and shall kindle in the thickets of the forest, and they shall mount up like the lifting up of smoke.
19. Through the wrath of the LORD of hosts is the land darkened, and the people shall be as the fuel of the fire: no man shall spare his brother.
20. And he shall snatch on the right hand, and be hungry; and he shall eat on the left hand, and they shall not be satisfied: they shall eat every man the flesh of his own arm:
21. Manasseh, Ephraim; and Ephraim, Manasseh: and they together shall be against Judah. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.