2. Then David the king stood up upon his feet, and said, Hear me, my brethren, and my people: As for me, I had in mine heart to build an house of rest for the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and for the footstool of our God, and had made ready for the building:
3. But God said unto me, Thou shalt not build an house for my name, because thou hast been a man of war, and hast shed blood.
4. Howbeit the LORD God of Israel chose me before all the house of my father to be king over Israel for ever: for he hath chosen Judah to be the ruler; and of the house of Judah, the house of my father; and among the sons of my father he liked me to make me king over all Israel:
5. And of all my sons, (for the LORD hath given me many sons, ) he hath chosen Solomon my son to sit upon the throne of the kingdom of the LORD over Israel.
6. And he said unto me, Solomon thy son, he shall build my house and my courts: for I have chosen him to be my son, and I will be his father.
7. Moreover I will establish his kingdom for ever, if he be constant to do my commandments and my judgments, as at this day.
8. Now therefore in the sight of all Israel the congregation of the LORD, and in the audience of our God, keep and seek for all the commandments of the LORD your God: that ye may possess this good land, and leave it for an inheritance for your children after you for ever.
9. And thou, Solomon my son, know thou the God of thy father, and serve him with a perfect heart and with a willing mind: for the LORD searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek him, he will be found of thee; but if thou forsake him, he will cast thee off for ever.
10. Take heed now; for the LORD hath chosen thee to build an house for the sanctuary: be strong, and do it.