18. And Abishai, the brother of Joab, the son of Zeruiah, was chief among three. And he lifted up his spear against three hundred, and slew them, and had the name among three.
19. Was he not most honourable of three? therefore he was their captain: howbeit he attained not unto the first three.
20. And Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, the son of a valiant man, of Kabzeel, who had done many acts, he slew two lionlike men of Moab: he went down also and slew a lion in the midst of a pit in time of snow:
21. And he slew an Egyptian, a goodly man: and the Egyptian had a spear in his hand; but he went down to him with a staff, and plucked the spear out of the Egyptian's hand, and slew him with his own spear.
22. These things did Benaiah the son of Jehoiada, and had the name among three mighty men.
23. He was more honourable than the thirty, but he attained not to the first three. And David set him over his guard.
24. Asahel the brother of Joab was one of the thirty; Elhanan the son of Dodo of Bethlehem,
25. Shammah the Harodite, Elika the Harodite,
26. Helez the Paltite, Ira the son of Ikkesh the Tekoite,
27. Abiezer the Anethothite, Mebunnai the Hushathite,
28. Zalmon the Ahohite, Maharai the Netophathite,
29. Heleb the son of Baanah, a Netophathite, Ittai the son of Ribai out of Gibeah of the children of Benjamin,
30. Benaiah the Pirathonite, Hiddai of the brooks of Gaash,
31. Abialbon the Arbathite, Azmaveth the Barhumite,
32. Eliahba the Shaalbonite, of the sons of Jashen, Jonathan,
33. Shammah the Hararite, Ahiam the son of Sharar the Hararite,
34. Eliphelet the son of Ahasbai, the son of the Maachathite, Eliam the son of Ahithophel the Gilonite,
35. Hezrai the Carmelite, Paarai the Arbite,
36. Igal the son of Nathan of Zobah, Bani the Gadite,
37. Zelek the Ammonite, Nahari the Beerothite, armourbearer to Joab the son of Zeruiah,
38. Ira an Ithrite, Gareb an Ithrite,
39. Uriah the Hittite: thirty and seven in all.